What is a Consulting Engineer?
Consulting engineering, by definition, is a professional service that provides expertise in engineering, science, and other related areas to construction firms, developers, industries, and governments. A consulting engineer, therefore, is a person with high qualifications and wide experience in engineering who can design, plan, and help in undertaking maintenance of any type of structure.
Each and every construction project has a specific purpose and mission to be achieved within a specified period and cost. To accomplish these, parameters such as complexity, size, productivity, quality, cost, and completion time need to be strictly evaluated. The planning and execution of these parameters reflect the final result, and this is where consulting engineers come in. A consulting engineer can make a lasting contribution to a project depending on his/her experience, skill, and expertise.
What can a consulting engineer do for you?
The role of a consulting engineer can broadly be classified as follows:
- a) Examine project reports including their cost estimates and financial reliability.
- b) Prepare, design, and scrutinize structural drawings.
- c) Invite tenders and check the tendering procedure.
- d) Supervise construction work and ensure that the workmanship is of the highest quality.
- e) Advise on alteration, maintenance, and repair of existing structure.
- f) Offer comprehensive consultations on inter-related issues such as selection of appropriate plant and equipment as well as water or electrical supply work.
- g) Act as a proof consultant for examining designs of complex structures to ensure safety and economy.
- h) Is familiar with modern developments and the latest technologies in the construction industry.
- i) Is familiar with the best building practices according to the building codes of a particular city.
- j) Has adequate knowledge of Computational Fluid Dynamics that is useful in complex engineering analysis, aerodynamic designs, as well as visual designs. It enables construction professionals to identify the potential problems in a project even before they embark on it.
All in all, a consulting engineer should ensure that top-of-the-line technology is used for all solutions. Not only should these solutions be creative, but also environment-friendly.
Qualities of a good consulting engineer
Apart from the technical expertise and qualifications, a consulting engineer should also have other qualities for the success in his/her profession. Here are some of the qualities that you have to look out for when choosing a consulting engineer:
- a) He/she should have team spirit and good human relations.
- b) Have a fair working knowledge of business and finance procedures.
- c) Have effective leadership skills useful when supervising construction projects.
- d) Know the importance of keeping clients’ information confidential.
- e) Accept no unauthorized connections with the supply of manpower or materials.
- f) Be sincere and hold no controlling or directorship interest in the projects.
- g) Be equipped with adequate language skills when working with foreigners or in foreign countries.
Nowadays, brilliant engineering skills are considered a rare commodity in many companies in the country and around the world. It is, therefore, wise to hire a professional consulting engineer for all your construction needs. At Arnold Investigative Engineering, we are skilled, qualified, and experienced consulting engineers who offer top-quality services to our esteemed clients. Our clients’ satisfaction is our number one priority. Contact us today!